After volunteering with the Passport Party Project, I became very interested in assisting more children with obtaining their Passport. The Passport Project is a grassroot initiative providing online global awareness training and first passports to American girls ages 11 – 15 in an effort to help create responsive and responsible global citizens, founded by Tracey Friley, an award-winning travel writer and travel-preneur. Through the Passport Party Project, I learned that less than 40% of Americans have a Passport. “With awareness comes responsibility.”
Everyone traveling by plane to an international country, regardless of age, MUST have a Passport. This applies to newborns and infants, they must have their own Passport.
Submit a Passport Application for a Minor under the Age of 16:
Note: Minors under the age of 16 must apply in person
- Complete Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds11/ds11_842.html
- Submit Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport in Person
- Submit Child’s Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (i.e. Birth Certificate)
- Submit Evidence of Relationship between Child and Parent/Guardian (i.e. birth certificate, Court Order establishing custody or guardianship, adoption decree, etc.)
- Present Identification of Parent(s) Guardians, both parents must present acceptable identification at the time of application. (ie. Valid Driver’s License)
- Submit a Photocopy of Each Parent/Guardian ID Document to be Presented on standard plain white 8 ½ by 11” standard paper.
- Provide Parental Consent: Both parents must appear in person with the minor and sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent. However, if it is not possible for both parents to appear with the minor, the parent appearing must submit the second parent’s notarized Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053). If one parent with sole legal custody appears in person with the minor, that parent must submit evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with evidence such as a birth certificate listing only the applying parent, court order granting sole custody to the applying parent, adoption decree, death certificate, etc. http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds3053/ds3053_846.html
- Pay the applicable fee, which is currently $85.
- Submit one Passport Photo
Apply at least 6 weeks prior to your trip, and if there are any special circumstances such as parental consent, you should apply as early as possible. A child’s Passport must be renewed every 5 years, unlike adults, which is every 10 years.
Need a Passport in As Little As 24 Hours? Visit http://www.passportsandvisas.com/?affiliate=15910 Contact My Times Travel to custom design your vacation experience. Visit http://www.mytimestravel.com, email email@example.com or call 1-800-659-8443